Braised Cavolo Nero
Cavolo Nero with Onion, Leek, Tomato & Pepper.
If you struggle like we do to get your children to eat Kale, try out this supper tastie recipe. Cavolo Nero is the best Kale for it, and with the Tomato and Pepper it makes it really sweet. This is now Erin and Calum's favourite.
1 red onion, sliced
½ leek sliced
I pepper, sliced
2 large tomatoes sliced
8oz Cavolo nero, trim of the thick stalk and cut into slices.
1. Heat the butter in a large pan, then add the onion and turn down the heat and fry gently until tender, then add the Leek , then fry until tender.
2. Add the Cavolo nero stirring it well, when it has reduced slightly add the pepper and tomato, keep stirring.
3. Reduce the heat as low as possible and add enough boiling water just to cover the bottom of the pan to save anything burning and cover with a lid.
4. Leave to simmer away for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. We never add salt or pepper to this dish but you might want to.